What do you get the family who needs everything?

How about a giant, maroon rug with scrolling black and yellow flowers for our living room, where I sit every single morning and night and stare at the one that I have and that I like. Did I mention our living room is filled with cream, orange and red tones? No? Well it is! Nothing else in the room matched our "gift". I was stunned and really didn't know what to say. I shook my head up and down and smiled broadly with my hand on my cheek.

Uh, yeah, I now realize you don't like the way I've decorated my house.

I tried to be a good sport and put on a giant smile. I said, 'THANK YOU,' then immediately went into the kitchen and started washing breakfast dishes, the counters, the floor, the toaster oven, my finger nails, anything else that I could clean...anything not to be in the room with the rug so I didn't have to lie. I felt awful for my lack of gratitude. I just didn't know what to do. How am I going to tell Mason? Should I tell him now or just wait? Should I just buy a new chair and change the color scheme of the room and keep my mouth shut? All of these things ran through my mind. Mason saved me. He didn't like it either. I could have cried at the relief I felt when he admitted that to me. Oh, thank you Jesus! We still didn't know what to do, but I knew it wasn't staying in the living room now and that allowed me to breath a little. As soon as we saw them pull out toward the main road it was up and in the guest bedroom until we could figure out what to do. Everything was back to normal...sort of.

I didn't think I would ever long for socks and oranges on Christmas. That day has finally come. Merry Christmas everyone, and I wish you all a day filled with socks and oranges!



Must add a post script: The family handled this well. Mason told them the truth and they, always the fabulous family that they are, were super about it!