I am coming dangerously close

to being really, seriously pissed about this economic stimulus package that is currently being debated in Congress. I am undeniably an Obama girl, but this is crap and I'm not afraid to call it that even if I think the guy has some good ideas. The pressure to move this fast without allowing time to uncover the unnecessary pet projects in there is ridiculous. I have some advice for everyone involved in passing this, if you want something moved fast, don't pad your legislation with pork, and lots of it at that. What did they think, we would pass another 700 BILLION + dollar stimulus package like the one the banking industry got and we weren't going to be paying a little bit more attention? I can't see one significant positive effect of the current stimulus package (the banking industry is still living pretty high on the hog)? What I see is the rich still getting richer and the poor still getting poorer - and no accountability either! Makes me even happier about the taxes I pay - woohoo.

When I found out the current bill provided for 200 Million dollars of our money designated toward the Hollywood Motion picture industry, I almost had a stroke. Would there be stipulations about how that money was spent for jobs and employment or will this go to studio head and actor's salaries?? Noticeably, this wasn't specified. Love the movies, but I'll pay my $11 at the door thank you very much for the ones I like. Oh and as for the 280 Million for smoking cessation programs?? um, no, but thanks though. I quit on my own just like everyone else can. In fact, I've never known smoking cessation programs to work for anyone. The only people I know who have quit smoking did so of their own volition. Oh and you mean you want 300 million for STD research while you're at it? Can you please tell me how this will help stimulate the current economic environment - yeah, I didn't think so. Medical Research, I get, a specific piece of medical research...nope that's a pet project. And as for the five (count them five) local to DC and Bethesda projects in there covering about 10 BILLION dollars, the rest of the country gives you all a great big F-U because we're suffering too and not all of the people in the country who need help are in the Metro DC area even though this is where our lawmakers spend most of their time these days. Maybe they should get out to a different place, or head into a department store, or go with someone applying for their 25th job and only 1 space is open in the whole town because the steel plant closed to help them figure out where to spend that money.

Quote from the Wall Street Journal:
"For one thing, Democrats ...are scurrying to cut $200 billion from the price tag."

Are you f'in kidding me - you asked for this bill to pass IMMEDIATELY with 200 BILLION dollars worth of items that on second glance, you can get rid of? That is like me borrowing money from my best friend who is also hurting and throwing a lavish dinner party with all of it instead of going to the store to buy groceries for a month. Yeah, I ate, so I guess I held up my end of the bargain? Kind of??

I want to believe it won't be politics as usual, but I must admit that less than a month in, it sure does look like it. There are a ton of worthy programs in this package, things that need to happen -FAST!!! Everyone up there needs to put on their heads and realize that if you mean it's not going to be politics as usual, then don't let it be politics as usual. Define your criteria for what part of the economy the amendment will stimulate, the overall effect you hope to achieve and then lay it out there for us to read in plain english instead of having to hunt for specifics and running smack into the slap in the face that 200 BILLION dollars can be culled right off the bat. Act like you're capable of being in control up there and not like some child making wishes on a genie lamp.

The Piper will be paid by us, let's remember that.