Reality is sinking in

Week 1 over, Week 2 begins now...

I finished reading Marathoning for Mortals and have decided I should wake up a bit early to get some food in me before kicking off a 5 a.m. run. Food = fuel, and apparently running upwards of an hour without food is bad. I'm going to have to pick up a heart rate monitor, everything that I read talks about heart rate zones and I tried to take my pulse while running last week and nearly severed my aorta with my own fingernails. I'm still in denial, like I think I can do this. I must admit that the hugeness of my decision is beginning to sink in and that the distance is enormous, but I'm still excited. I will function in the primitive sphere of excitability until I can mature into something less sporadic and more consistent (i.e. patience).

So, lessons from week 1: 5 a.m. is a lot earlier than it sounds, it's hot at 8 a.m. and will damn near kill you if running during June in Alabama (don't sleep through that 5 a.m. alarm), I am wildly afraid of failing, staying up late and expecting to still get up and run in the morning is stupid, and finally, the thrill of actually training with the goal being to run a marathon is like the first time you checked yes on that "do you want to be my girlfriend" box!

I'll keep everyone posted on my painfully slow process.