Interactive portion of the program

What's the habit you're proudest of breaking?

Mine would be smoking.

It was the hardest thing in the world to quit, seriously. I only quit because I wanted a baby (thanks in advance for that one Clare). I started smoking when I was 19 and quit when I was 29. It was very much a part of who I was, part of my love affair with life, part of my socializing with friends, part of my perception of academia and creativity, and part of daily decompression for me. At the time, I found it both liberating and considered it open-minded.

The funny thing is that now that I don't smoke, I think about all of that wasted money and time. I think about how it kind of bound me up into this very small world (I was literally chained to the smoking area). Of course, I wasn't really a smoker since I didn't smoke all of the time and certainly didn't need one. Ha, the lies we tell ourselves in order to keep doing what we do....meanwhile, ten years later you're still doing it and the lie is harder to swallow. So, there is my story. Now...what's yours?

Oh, cute side note though. I met someone I consider one of my best friends in life because I smoked...so I forgive myself for the years of abuse if I got nothing more than her out of it. True story, we were both in a bar waiting to hear some musician and she tapped me on the shoulder and said "do you mind if I use your ash tray." I responded with, "as long as you don't mind if I smoke." We both smiled broadly and started laughing, after that we were inseparable for a season of our life. I'm thankful for that memory.